Saturday, January 21, 2006

On Eating Alone

Many are the times that I have eaten my food in solitude. I have grown accustomed to this style of eating in my absence from home. This style has grown high in favor with me, so much that having someone join me can sometimes be annoying. However, there are a few persons who I am happy to eat with. I try to make it my rule not to turn anyone away from sitting with me, since I myself know how hard it can be to find a table.
One main point I have in eating alone is time management. To me, eating with other people often results in an inexcusable waste of time, time I could be studying or pursuing my pastimes. Another point I have is the peril of groups. I often see groups in this hapless condition: there is no readily available table for their social eating, so they must walk around searching. What a waste of time! I've been there, done that. It is not fun. Other frustrations involve getting separated from group members and waiting for people who come late, or not at all. I constantly hear meaningless conversations about eating with so-and-so, getting a table, why this person isn't there and more. What a waste of energy, time, and life in general.
Some people have a problem with eating their food alone. They get concerned about "dinner plans". What dinner plans? Apparently, eating alone would harm their delicate social life. Who cares about social life? Why not just be a loner? Loners are capable of extremely high efficiency in various areas of life. I admit that many things are not for loners, but eating certainly lends itself very well to doing alone.
Very rarely do I plan to meet someone for a meal. Once a certain person I like questioned me about the eating situation. I replied, "That's the way I live my life." I eat to survive, not to socialize. Probably more than ever, this will be my focus next semester.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jim Estill said...

I agree with your comment on "doing lunch". I often avoid it unless I really enjoy the other persons' company. Many business people could learn from you.

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home